During Year Four, our children are given the opportunity to make the Sacraments of Reconciliation and First Holy Communion.
Our experience tells us that the faith of children is best nourished when home, school and parish work together. First and most importantly, children learn about faith in their home. This is supported in school and by the people of the wider parish community.
Within the R.E. curriculum in Year Four, children learn about the Sacraments of Reconciliation and the Eucharist and through working with the parish, they will learn more about the Mass.
You will know that your child is ready to celebrate the Sacrament of Reconciliation when they:
- Know that God loves them and is always ready to forgive no matter what;
- Are able to reflect on their own behaviour;
- They want to express sorrow and to make amends;
- And appreciate the place and importance of Reconciliation.
You will know that your child is ready to celebrate the Sacrament of Holy Communion when they:
- Know about Jesus, they pray to him and want to receive Communion with him and his church;
- Show reverence and respect;
- Know the difference between Holy Communion and ordinary food;
- Be attentive and aware of what is happening during Mass;
- Have some sense of belonging to the parish family.
If you would like any further information about the Sacramental Preparation programme, please contact Fr. O’Connor or Mrs. Stephenson.