The EYFS follows a separate curriculum. There are seven areas which form the basis of the curriculum. These areas are made up of prime areas and specific areas.
The prime areas are:
- Personal, social and emotional development (making relationships; self-confidence and self-awareness; managing feelings and behaviour)
- Communication and language (listening and attention; understanding; speaking)
- Physical development (moving and handling; health and self-care)
The specific areas are:
- Literacy (reading; writing)
- Mathematics (numbers; shape, space and measures)
- Understanding the world (people and communities; the world; technology)
- Expressive arts and design (exploring and using media and materials, being imaginative)
- Each area of learning has a set of related early learning goals which the children are assessed against.
For further information, please view our Early Years Foundation Stage Policy.